Sunday, October 14, 2012

Trust and Fear

One characteristic that starts to reveal is the locals' lack of trust. I think the "system" gradually pushed them to think that no one should be trusted and they should be aware of everything.

Take as an example an excerpt from "California Driver's handbook" that notes: "If you must stop on a freeway, park completely off the pavement and stay in your vehicle with the doors locked until help arrives. Leave enough space for other vehicles to pass freely. Your vehicle should be visible at least 200 feet in each direction." (http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/parking.htm)

I think the main concern anywhere in the world is to keep that stranded driver away from being killed by another car, mainly due to the high speed on the freeway (a.k.a. motorway) and to keep the car out of traffic as much as possible; that's why they ask him to move the vehicle furthest possible from traffic and stay visible.

The difference in California's handbook is that the driver should stay in the car and the doors must be locked. If it is to be hit by another car, staying inside and locking your own car doors wouldn't help much so obviously the handbook is inducing you that there is a greater danger that lurks, a danger that might be caused by a fellow human. Nice.
(For comparison, in Romanian law they say you should place the car out of traffic as much as possible and get on the nearest grass/field/whatever, as far from the freeway traffic as possible. This way, if the car gets hit at least you're alive.)

Next example from the streets of Redwood Shores, a peaceful neighborhood with many acres meadows, wide streets, water channels and active bird life. Still,
to cast a shadow over this joyful life, there are these announcements panels on both of the two entry points in the neighborhood, that from time to time look like this:

Encouraging?

So, what's the idea? Who would benefit if nobody trusts no one and everyone is afraid of others? Sounds a bit like a "divide et impera" policy.

The result is that local people are more circumspect than any others I have seen until now.

For example, I have attended an open house day (for a house rental) and after discussing various aspects for 10 minutes with the realtor, he said to me: "I can see that you're sincere because you look into my eyes and don't blink when you talk to me".
"Jeez..." I thought. "What type of people is this guy getting in contact with if he's so well versed in this 2 cents psychology". Moreover, why being so cautious in a situation in which anyway the tenant is the one completely exposed and tied-up in contracts with all the possible clauses provisioned in, to have the landlord resting assured that nothing could go wrong with his money or house.

Other things happen when I tried to get "odd services" at some repair shops. For example I needed a metallic bed rail cut short, and thought I should try in an auto repair shop, knowing that they should have the tools for the job.
After I told the owner what I need he pointed me to a vice and got me a metal saw and let me do it completely myself. I was surprised but played along and did my job.
The funny part is that, in the end, I handed him 20$ "for a beer" and he was quite surprised himself saying something like: "If I knew you want to pay for it I'd do it for you". Is this lack of trust or what? What you expected man, only buggers asking for freebies enter your shop?

1 comments:

jj knows said...

It is quite troubling how we no longer truly know our neighbors. No one says hello to one another. We live in a constant state of "fear" it seems. Yet America is supposed to be the land of the free. However I'm sure there are places that are much safer in the United States than our beloved SF/Oakland Bay Area area.